The village of Dolgarrog sits on the A470 between Llanrwst and Conwy.
According to wikipedia the entomology of Dalgarog is ‘from the Welsh dôl (water-meadow) and carrog (torrent)’ which is entirely appropriate, as the water that flows down the steep valleys above the village has played a significant role in the history of the village.
The water brought the flour mill, saw mill and, in 1895, the aluminium smelting plant. The water also brought tragedy with the dam disaster of 1925 and the village is still dominated by giant water pipes that feed the hydroelectric power station.
The smelting plant closed in 2007 and was demolished in 2008. The site is now Adventure Parc Snowdonia – which boats a freshwater surfing pool!
During our time at Dolgarrog, we also visited Bodnant Gardens and the disused Hafna Lead Mine,
All images © W N BISHOP